Join our Team - Serve your Community - Open Patrol Officer Position
LBPD PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT ON HIRING PROCESS –
LITITZ BOROUGH – 11/25/2020 – The Lititz Borough Police Department is announcing that the Borough of Lititz has started the application process for the selection of an open entry-level police patrol officer position. The LBPD is a professional law enforcement agency which provides a wide variety of high-quality law enforcement services to the Borough of Lititz with a priority towards efforts and outcomes rooted in a community-oriented delivery of police services. The Lititz Borough Police Department is fully Accredited through the Pennsylvania Law Enforcement Accreditation Commission (PLEAC) – a distinction achieved by only approximately 10% of all law enforcement agencies in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
TO OUR COMMUNITY – The LBPD prioritizes efforts which support outcomes that result in the selection of officers who possess the attitude, tolerance and interpersonal skills required to deal with the complexities of the 21st century. This starts with the hiring decisions made by the LBPD. Consistent with the 2015 President’s Task Force on 21st Century Policing, we understand that hiring officers who reflect the Lititz Community they will serve is important not only to external community relations, but also to internalizing the LBPD community-oriented culture.
The Borough of Lititz places emphasis on civilian oversight and control to impartially bring Lititz Borough citizen and LBPD stakeholders together to work collaboratively and proactively to make policing more effective and responsive to the Lititz Community. To that end, the hiring process is administered by the Lititz Borough Civil Service Commission, a commission of qualified electors. The final decision regarding hiring will be made by the elected Lititz Borough Council.
Once a candidate is eventually hired, they must successfully complete a comprehensive field training program which meets PLEAC Accreditation standards. Additionally, newly-hired officers must successfully complete a one-year probationary period. Any officer who cannot meet the minimum performance standards or who conduct themselves in a manner unbecoming of a police officer will not be retained.
TO THE CANDIDATES – The LBPD is an equal-opportunity employer. The LBPD is committed to an effective and fair selection process that results in the appointment of police officers who best possess the skills, knowledge and abilities necessary for an effective police agency. Eligible candidates will undergo a thorough and complete vetting process which includes, but is not limited to:
- Written testing.
- Oral board examination comprised of independent (detached from the LBPD) law enforcement professionals.
- Psychological examination by a licensed psychiatrist, who follows the requirements of the Municipal Police Officers’ Education and Training Commission (MPOETC).
- Medical and drug-use screening, including a physical examination by a licensed physician who follows the requirements of the MPOETC.
- Review of any criminal history and driver history records.
- Review of personal credit.
- Interviews of current and former employers, neighbors, family, friends and other acquaintances.
- Verification of education and other credentials.
- Review of social media accounts.
- Applicant oral interviews with the Lititz Borough Council and LBPD Command Staff.
- Truth verification performed via polygraph examination and/or voice stress analysis.
The LBPD selection process is guided by Civil Service Regulations, state law, PLEAC Accreditation requirements, professional best-practices and LBPD written directives related to the background and selection of police officer applicants:
- General Order 1.5.1 (Selection Process)
- General Order 1.9.1 (Background Investigations)
- General Order 1.9.2 (Medical Examinations and Drug Screens)
- General Order 1.9.3 (Psychological Examinations)
Interested applicants can obtain the written application at LititzPD.org. All completed applications must be emailed to 2021Hiring@LititzPD.org by Monday, January 4, 2021 at 4:00 PM.
Upon submission of the application, the applicant will be provided information regarding the next step, which is the written examination.