Winter is here again! Please take a few minutes to review the following reminders.
- When snowstorms are in the forecast, we ask that everyone park off of the street if you are able. This will enable the Public Works Department to push the snow back closer to the curb the first time and will possibly reduce the number of times your driveway will be closed by the snowplow when they come back to widen the streets.
- Owners, occupants, or tenants are required to remove all snow and ice from sidewalks within 24 hours after it ceases to fall (make a path at least 30″ wide). Snow and ice that cannot be removed without injury to the sidewalks shall be treated with salt, sand, or other abrasive material.
- Snow should not be thrown into the streets but piled at the curb line where it will not impede clearing operations or traffic movement. You are not permitted to blow or shovel snow into the travel lane of any roadway! If you are cited, violating this ordinance brings a fine of $300 or up to 90 days in jail for each day the violations exist.
- PennDOT is responsible for all winter maintenance on state roads within the Borough. These roads include East & West Main Streets, North & South Decatur Streets, Miller Street & Lancaster Avenue.
- If the Mayor declares a Snow Emergency, it will be announced via local media, posted on the Borough’s Web site, www.strasburgboro.org, and broadcast through the Swift911™ system to all listed and registered customers within the borough. During a declared snow emergency, residents whose cars are parked in the streets will be required to move their vehicles to their driveways or to one of the designated locations for alternate parking during the period when the streets are being cleared of snow.
Only if a Snow Emergency is declared may you park at the following locations: Strasburg Borough Municipal Building, 145 Precision Avenue; Strasburg Jaycee Park, 218 Miller Street; First Presbyterian Church, 101 South Decatur Street; Wesley United Methodist Church, 46 West Main Street; Bachman Snyder Funeral Home & Crematory (unless a service is scheduled), enter from 19 Franklin Street.