Stay Safe this 4th of July Holiday!


In late 2017, Pennsylvania modified its Fireworks Law to allow for a more expansive list of fireworks to be used by the average consumer.  PA residents, over the age of 18, can now purchase and use “Class C” or “consumer-grade” fireworks that include firecrackers, Roman Candles, bottle rockets, and other similar fireworks.  The expansion includes those fireworks that were previously only available to out-of-state residents.  These fireworks will normally have a colorful wrapping upon them and can be purchased at any facility (temporary or permanent), which is licensed by the PA Department of Agriculture.  Examples of temporary facilities include tents or other structures found in parking lots. 

“Display fireworks,” which are classified as professional-grade aerial shells, are still only to be used by professionals with a permit from the municipality where the display will take place.  These fireworks will normally have a plain paper wrapping upon them.

Despite the above changes, there are still restrictions on the use of "Consumer fireworks."

They CANNOT be ignited or discharged:
     - on a public or private property without express permission of the property owner.  **(this includes the street)**
     - from or within a motor vehicle or building.
     - towards a motor vehicle or building.
     - within 150 feet of an occupied structure.
     - while the person igniting the firework is under the influence of alcohol, a controlled substance, or another drug

MEDIA CONTACT:  Sergeant Michael T. Piacentino, W: 717-569-6401 Ext: 1583, C: 717-340-2130,