Special News Release – Monday, October 3, 2022
Sergeant Barry E. Waltz, Jr., Public Information Officer
Office: 717-569-6401 Ext: 1505
Major Crash Investigation 300 Block E. Roseville Rd
At 12:04 PM Saturday, October 1, 2022, the Manheim Township Police Department responded to a report of a motor vehicle crash. Officers on the scene determined that a 2013 BMW 535i was driven by George B. Hetrick IV, 23, of Lancaster, PA. failed to negotiate a left-hand curve in the 300 block of E. Roseville Rd. Hetrick's vehicle left the roadway and traveled through several front yards crashing into mailboxes and shrubbery. At one point Hetrick's vehicle traveled through a PPL utility pole, shearing it off in two places. This disrupted power to thousands of residents for 10 hours. Nine separate residential properties, close to the sheared-off pole, lost major kitchen appliances due to the power surge caused by the crash. One residential property, that took the brunt of the surge, will need to be stripped down to bare studs and be completely rewired.
Officers determined that Hetrick showed signs of impairment and was arrested on suspicion of DUI. Hetrick refused to provide a breath sample and was sent a summons to appear in court on charges of DUI - General Impairment, Careless Driving, and Driving Vehicle at Safe Speed.
Damage reported due to power surge:
- 3XX E. Roseville Rd. - Outlets stopped working, stove and coffee pot damaged
- 3XX E. Roseville Rd. – Outlets stopped working
- 19XX Harclay Pl - Outlets stopped working, and several major appliances destroyed
- 3XX E. Roseville Rd. - Outlets stopped working, stove blown up
- 3XX E. Roseville Rd. - Outlets stopped working, furnace damaged
- 3XX E. Roseville Rd. - Entire electrical needs replaced, will need to be stripped to bare studs
- 3XX E. Roseville Rd. - Outlets stopped working
- 3XX E. Roseville Rd. - Outlets stopped working, stove damaged
- 3XX E. Roseville Rd. - Outlets stopped working, TV and stove damaged