A resident of the 200 Block of East New Street reported that on July 29, 2020, they observed a female on their neighbor's porch who they knew was unrelated to the neighbor. The female appeared to be inspecting a package which had been delivered. When the female appeared to notice she was observed, she left the area. No theft was reported to have occurred despite the female's apparent interest in the package.
The LBPD encourages anyone who observes suspicious activity to immediately report it. Any in-progress incident should be reported using 911.
The LBPD is also sharing these tips to deter "porch pirates"
- Consider having packages delivered to a trusted neighbor who will be home while you are away.
- Use delivery companies that have a "lock box" where you can pick-up packages rather than having them delivered.
- Use mail services that require a signature for delivery.
- Sign-up for tracking alerts.
- Have packages delivered to your workplace, rather than your home.
- Tell out-of-town relatives who might be mailing gifts where to safely send packages (based on decisions above).
If someone steals your package, please report it. This helps in investigations and determining trends - it allows us to direct resources when we can see patterns emerging.