Friendly Pet Reminder
Friendly Pet Reminder,
As the weather turns pleasant many East Lampeter & Upper Leacock Township residents take advantage of allowing their dogs to enjoy the outdoors. This is a reminder of a few laws and ordinances in place to ensure the safety of your pet and fellow residents.
- Pennsylvania has a several laws in place which include: all dogs three months of age or older must be licensed. Licenses are issued by the Lancaster County Treasurer: http://www.padoglicense.com/
- All dogs must be under control and must not be allowed to run at large. Dogs are personal property, and owners are responsible for damages caused by their dog.
- Confinement and Control – It shall be unlawful for the owner or keeper of any dog to fail to keep at all times their dog confined within the premises of the owner, firmly secured by means of a collar, chain or other device so that it cannot stray beyond the premises on which it is secured or under the reasonable control of some person.
- For a full list of PA laws visit: https://www.agriculture.pa.gov/Animals/DogLaw/pa-dog-laws/Pages/default.aspx
East Lampeter & Upper Leacock Township's have ordinances which in summary state the following:
- Noise Limitations: Persons owning, possessing, harboring or controlling any animal or bird which howls, barks, meows, squawks or makes other sounds continuously and/or incessantly for a period of 10 minutes or makes such noise intermittently for ½ hour or more to the disturbance of any person at any time of the day or night is prohibited.
- Animals at Large: It shall be the duty of the owner, custodian or keeper of any animal traveling on the streets or public grounds to have the animal on a leash, harness, or tether at all times.
- Park Use: It is unlawful for any person to permit any dog or other animal to run at large, or allow any such animal to be within 50 feet of any designated picnic area, play area, or pavilion unless on a designated path. Dogs must be on an adequate leash that is no more than 10 feet in length at its full extension. Persons are required to remove and dispose of any animal deposits or droppings.
- Please refer to ELT Ordinances and Resolutions: https://eastlampetertownship.org/government/ordinances-resolutions/ and the ULT Ordinance: https://www.ultwp.com/sites/upperleacockpa/files/uploads/2014_ordinance_2014_01_0.pdf
In the event a human is bit by a dog, the following must occur: any dog biting a human must be quarantined for a period of ten (10) days. The location of the quarantine may be at a commercial kennel, veterinary, or approved private residence but it must be isolated for ten (10) days.
Please be safe and enjoy your summer!