The East Hempfield Township Police Department was formed in July 1963 with the hiring of Joseph Fliss as the first full time police officer. The first police car was purchased that month from the former Garden Spot Motors for $2,220. In January 1964, Officer Fliss was appointed as the Department’s first Chief of Police. The department operated out of a building on the northeast corner of Rohrerstown Rd and Oreville Rd before moving to its current location within the municipal building at 1700 Nissley Road in 1983.
Today, the Department has grown to over 34 police officers and 4 civilian support staff. The agency provides 24/7 service to the residents, businesses, and visitors of East Hempfield Township. The department is responsible for a jurisdiction covering 21 square miles with 140 miles of roadway and containing a population in excess of 25,000.