Winter Weather Reminders
With more winter weather on the way, here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Sidewalks must be cleared of snow and ice within 24 hours after snowfall ends. The clearing needs to be at least 30 inches wide, and if there is snow or ice accumulation that cannot be cleared salt, sand, or other abrasive materials must be applied.
- Snow removed from driveways or sidewalks cannot be placed in the street. Pile snow at the curb line where it will not disrupt traffic or clearing operations.
- No snow may be piled next to fire hydrants or storm drains. If you have a fire hydrant on or near your property, please consider clearing the area around it. This may save precious moments in the event of a fire. If there is a storm drain on or near your property, clearing it may avoid water issues when the snow begins to melt.
- If a snow emergency is declared, the Borough Office will send an automated message to anyone signed up for our Swift911 notifications, notify local news outlets, and post it on the borough website.
- Once a snow emergency is declared, there are specific business parking lots they may be used to move cars to and allow for the roads to be cleared. These parking lots are only open for public parking once a snow emergency has been declared.
- If you clear a parking space along the street, as frustrating as it may be, anyone can park there since it is a public street.
If a snow emergency is declared by the Christiana Borough Office, the following streets need to be clear of vehicles for snow removal
- Broad Street
- West Slokom Avenue
- Elm Street
- Elizabeth Street
- Pine Street
(To sign up for Swift911 notifications for Christiana Borough, click here)
(To sign up for Swift911 notifications for Atglen Borough, click here)